What is it?
Statistics South Africa (Stats SA) publishes statistical information on the provision of services to households including dwellings, water and electricity; as well as use of health services and education.
- General Household Survey (GHS) runs annually
- Living Conditions Survey 2015 and Community Survey 2016
- Data on access to services such as education, health
- Data on access to utilities such as water, electricity
Why is it Important?
Stats SA conducts representative surveys to understand what services households are able to access, and their perceptions of service delivery. This is important for monitoring the performance of government entities and for planning resource allocation for areas with the most need.
How can it be accessed and used?
Stats SA publishes analysis and data from its household surveys on its main website and through the Nesstar and SuperWEB platforms.
For the annual General Household Survey (GHS), the analysis of data is posted in a series of pdf reports. These can be accessed here P0318. The GHS data can be accessed as tables via the Stats SA Nesstar site. Microdata is available through Datafirst for the 2016 survey zaf-statssa-ghs-2016-v1. Along with the publication of the GHS, Stats SA typically publishes spin-off reports that combine GHS findings with data from other sources. For example:
- GHS Series Volume VII published in 2016 focuses on housing including types of dwellings and affordability. You may want to explore related private sector buildings statistics reported annually by local municipalities: P5041.3.
- GHS series volume IV published in 2012 focuses on food security and agriculture between 2002-2011. Related statistics are sourced and published on agriculture broadly.
The GHS statistics are closely related to the Census and other surveys such as the Community Survey 2016 and the Living Conditions Survey P0310.. The Community Survey and Living Conditions Survey data can also be accessed via the Nesstar or SuperWEB platforms.
ghs-2016-house-s11 (GHS 2016 - household characteristics)
Household payment for medication from Living Conditions Survey
- service delivery
- social services
Where else has the resource been used?
|2018||6 positive ways in which SA has developed in last 15 years|
|2018||Only 8% of SA households speak English|
|2016||GHS Series Volume VII: Housing from a human settlement perspective|