South African Atmospheric Emission Licensing and Inventory Portal (SAAELIP)Theme: Environment Date Added: 2018-11-19
What is it?
SAAELIP is a website where industry can apply for and report on Atmospheric Emissions Licenses (AEL), and where residents can view license information.
- Search for AELs by province and town
- Download AEL information for individual organisations
- View permitted operating emissions
- View reporting requirements
Why is it Important?
SAAELIP enables public users to view emissions licenses that have been granted to industry near their town or city. This allows regulators, residents and civil society organisations to see the amount of pollutants that individual factories and power stations are allowed to produce under different operating conditions.
How can it be accessed and used?
Public Inquiry Portal: Search for AEL Licenses
The Public Inquiry Portal component allows unregistered public users to access information on licenses that have been granted. To access license information for a specific province in South Africa the key steps are:
- From the home page, click the Public Inquiry Portal link to access the license search page.
- On the license search page select a "Province" from the drop down list (e.g. Mpumalanga) and click on "Search".
- Click on the pdf icon in the column to the left of the "Facility Name". The pdf version of the license information will download to your device.
Each pdf contains header information along with four different tables:
- Maximum emissions during normal working conditions.
- Maximum emissions during startup, maintenance and shutdown
- Monitoring and reporting requirements for the facility.
- Management and mitigation actions for the facility.
National Atmospheric Emissions Inventory System (NAEIS)
If you are an industry organisation looking to apply for an emissions license or to report on your emissions you can "Create a new account" on the right side of the home page and follow the relevant menus and instructions.
Atmospheric Emissions Licenses (AEL) - Mpumalanga - Issue, Effective, Expiry Dates
Atmospheric Emissions Licenses (AEL) - Mpumalanga - Maximum Emissions Normal Working Conditions
Resource contact name:Chief Directorate for Air Quality Management, Department of Environmental Affairs
Creation or start date:2018-11-19
Resource contact updated at:2018-12-14
Spatial coverage South Africa http://www.geonames.org/953987/south-africa.html
Where else has the resource been used?
|2017||Question NW2292 to the Minister of Environmental Affairs|
|2016||The right of access to environmental information in the public and private sphere|
|2015||Free State launches emissions portal|