What is it?
Extracts from the Phase 1 State Land Audit including parcel-level records for land in the eThekwini Municipality and Northern Cape Province.
- Data on land owned by the State
- Data collection between 2010-2013
- 140,000+ records for eThekwini and Northern Cape
- Parcel number, owner, land use
Why is it Important?
The Phase 1 State Land Audit collected individual records for all land owned by government and related State entities. This data can be analysed to develop new insights into the location, extent and use of State land, which can enable better planning of settlements and infrastructure.
How can it be accessed and used?
An extract from the full Phase 1 State Land Audit dataset for eThekwini and Northern Cape can be downloaded from the Access URL in the Data highlights section below. Once you have downloaded and unzipped the file, you will have a large Excel spreadsheet that you can analyse in various ways.
For example, for the eThekwini dataset, you may want to check what parcels of land are owned by State entities in Umlazi Section C, South of Durban CBD. To do this:
- Open the file "EthekwiniRegionData.xlsx" in Microsoft Excel or LibreOffice Calc.
- Go to any cell on row 1 and open the data filter
- Click on the "TOWNSHIP" column and unselect all, then select "Umlazi C". This will show you a few hundred parcels of land owned by State entities in this area of Umlazi.
- In the "LANDUSE_DESCRIPTION" you can see what the land use is classified as.
- To get more detailed information on the location of the land parcel you will need to work with the LPI column. For more information on this code visit the CSG website.
Phase 1 State Land Audit eThekwini Dataset
Phase 1 State Land Audit Northern Cape Dataset
Resource contact name:Department of Rural Development and Land Reform
Creation or start date:2018-11-19
Resource contact updated at:2018-12-14
Spatial coverage South Africa http://www.geonames.org/953987/south-africa.html