What is it?
The Licensing Unit in the Affordable Medicines Directorate at the Department of Health (DOH) receives applications to prescribe and dispense medicines and publishes a list of approved individuals and pharmacies.
- Over 5,500 licenced medicine dispensers in South Africa
- Licence data includes name, address and expiry date of licence
- Also data on Section 22A(15) Primary Care Drug Therapy (PCDT) permits
- And pharmacy premises license applications
Why is it Important?
Medicines can only be accessed through individuals and pharmacies that are licenced to prescribe and dispense that medicine. Patients should be able to verify the registration of medicine dispensers.
How can it be accessed and used?
There are three main components to the DOH Affordable Medicine Directorate's Licencing Unit data:
- Dispensing licence: Applications are made to the Director-General: Health, in terms of Section 22C(1)a of the Medicines and Related Substances Act (Act 101 of 1965) for a licence to dispense medicines (authorised prescribers) or a licence to compound and dispense (homeopaths only). The list of approved licence holders is published as table in a PDF file.
- Section 22(A)15 permit holders: Primary Care Drug Therapy (PCDT) Permit applications are made to the Director-General: Health in terms of Section 22A(15) of the Medicines and Related Substances Act (Act 101 of 1965). The list of approved permit holders is published as table in a PDF file.
- Pharmacy premises licence: An application for a pharmacy premises licence is made to the Director-General: Health Section 22 and 22A of the Pharmacy Act, 1974 (Act 53 of 1974) and its regulations. Data has not been published on pharmacy premises licence holders.
Medicine dispensing licence holders
|Format:||PDF XLSX CSV|
Resource contact name:Licensing Unit, Directorate: Affordable Medicines, Department of Health
Creation or start date:2018-12-11
Resource contact updated at:2018-12-14
Spatial coverage South Africa http://www.geonames.org/953987/south-africa.html
Where else has the resource been used?
|2018||Concourt slams MPs for including vets in new drug licence law|
|2016||Cape police bust bogus doctors|
|2001||To Diagnose, Prescribe and Dispense: Whose Right Is It? The Ongoing Struggle Between Pharmacy and Medicine in South Africa|