What is it?
DHET publishes data on the status and services provided by post-school training institutions as well as statistics related to student intake and performance, staffing and NSFAS funding distribution.
- Covers universities, TVETs, CETs and SETA learning programmes
- Lists of registered, closed and illegal training institutions
- Enrolments and examination results by field of study and gender
- Staff numbers by population group and position
Why is it Important?
Post-school education and training in South Africa needs to accommodate much higher student enrolment numbers whilst also being responsive to the needs of society. Accurate data on student enrolment and staffing is critical for planning and allocation of resources. Prospective students also need information on credible, registered institutions.
How can it be accessed and used?
The DHET resources are distributed across a few website pages. Highlights include:
- Registers of skills development providers, private higher education institutions and private colleges published in PDF files and updated regularly.
- Annual statistics on highed education institutions (HEIs) (largely universities), TVETs, CETs and SETA learning programmes. Data is published as tables in PDF reports and covers student enrolments, staffing, examination results and graduations, and NSFAS and other funding distributions.
- Organising framework for occupations (OFO) list of job categories and descriptions. This is important for defining what skills are needed in different occupations and how these align with post-school training.
- Accredited lists of conferences and journals for research publications.
- Public TVET colleges contact information and GPS location.
For additional insights and more accessible data, the Centre for Higher Education Trust has sourced, analysed and visualised data from DHET related to universities and colleges in South Africa (and Africa). Data on higher education enrolment and achievement is also collected as part of Stats SA surveys, such as the annual General Household Survey (GHS) and 2016 Community Survey.
Registered private higher education institutions
|PDF XLSX CSV
Public TVET colleges contact and location
|HTML XLSX CSV
Resource contact name:Department of Higher Education and Training
Creation or start date:2018-12-11
Resource contact updated at:2018-12-14
Spatial coverage South Africa http://www.geonames.org/953987/south-africa.html