What is it?
The Municipal Demarcation Board (MDB) publishes updated boundary data for administrative regions in South Africa at district, local and ward levels.
- 250+ municipality boundaries
- 4000+ ward boundaries
- Published in SHP and KML formats
- Updated in 2016
Why is it Important?
The demarcation of municipal boundaries determines which electoral ward you live in when you are voting for a councillor, and also defines the boundaries of responsibility for the municipality when they deliver services.
How can it be accessed and used?
Accessing MDB data
The municipal boundary data is published by the MDB as Shapefiles (SHP) or KML files depending on which part of the MDB website you are on. You can also access repackaged versions of the data on SA Maps or through the MapIt tool.
How to use MDB boundary data
Administrative boundaries for provinces, municipalities and wards are a useful base layer when mapping out other interesting data, such as school or clinic locations, to see which municipality or province these facilities fall under. There are many online tools that make it easier to work with KML and SHP files so we suggest trying the following:
- Convert the KML or SHP file to a more open format, such as GeoJSON, using one of the many online tools like mapshaper. A SHP file is actually not a single file so you will normally need to download or zip up a directory of connected files and convert the zip as a package.
- Upload the GeoJSON file to a tool like Mapbox, QGIS or Kepler.gl.
- The mapping tool will generate a map with the municipal boundaries. You can then add new data layers to the map such as school or clinic locations.
As an example, Wazimap shows election, Census and Community Survey data on top of municipal boundaries.
Local municipality boundaries 2016
Resource contact name:Municipal Demarcation Board
Creation or start date:2018-11-20
Resource contact updated at:2018-12-14
Spatial coverage South Africa http://www.geonames.org/953987/south-africa.html
Where else has the resource been used?
|2018||Voting Station Finder|
|2016||WikiProject South Africa/Municipalities task force|
|2016||Choropleth Mapping of Cervical Cancer Screening in South Africa Using Healthcare Facility-level Data from the National Laboratory Network|