What is it?
Mapping of environmental impact assessments (EIA) for renewable energy supply projects in South Africa, and designated renewable energy development zones.
- Renewable energy project locations and boundaries
- EIA application status: in progress, approved, refused
- Quarterly updates
- Data available as Shapefiles
Why is it Important?
The development of new renewable energy projects can benefit rural and undeveloped areas, but residents need to be aware of these plans. Updated information on renewable energy projects allows citizens, local business and all spheres of government to make better decisions about energy use, where to live and industrial investments.
How can it be accessed and used?
The Department of Environmental Affairs hosts an Environmental Geographical Information Systems (E-GIS) web page with map-based views and data downloads for protected areas, conservation areas and renewable energy amongst others.
The renewable energy Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) applications map can be viewed here. Underlying data can be accessed through the Data Downloads section of the site, but you will first need to create a new account and login.
Once logged in, browse down to the Renewable Energy sections and download the zipped SHP files that you can convert into GeoJSON or CSV using mapshaper or import into a mapping tool like QGIS directly. Data covers:
- Renewable energy project environmental authorisation applications, including information on applicant organisation, technology, energy supply and status of application. Data is provided on project boundaries down to a parcel level and released on a quarterly basis.
- Related data from the Strategic Environmental Assessment for Renewable Energy Development Zones (REDZs) can be found here.
REEA_OR_2018_Q2 (Renewable Energy Data Quarter 2, 2018)
Resource contact name:Renewable Energy EIA Application Map team
Creation or start date:2018-11-19
Resource contact updated at:2018-12-14
Spatial coverage South Africa http://www.geonames.org/953987/south-africa.html
Where else has the resource been used?
|2017||Phase 2 Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) for the effective and efficient roll-out of large scale wind and solar development in South Africa|
|2015||Visualising South African Renewable Energy Applications in 2015|